Kilkenny County Childcare Committee acknowledge the importance of a strong and professional staff team in influencing the provision of high quality early years care and education for the benefit of the children in your service. Should you require support around recruitment and HR in your service please get in contact with us.

Please note: It is our policy to delete/shred any unsolicited CV’s received either by email or in hard copy.

Temporary Arrangements for Students During the Summer Period 2024

How to Apply for a Student Fast-Track Application for Temporary Permission to Practice:

A student seeking temporary permission to practice in an Early Learning and Care setting during the period up to 1st of September 2024 should complete a Student Fast-Track Application Form for Temporary Permission to Practice, and have it signed and stamped by their Institution/Department/School.

The student should then email a scanned copy of the signed and stamped form to the Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth at [email protected], along with their contact details (name, address and email address), where it will be assessed. If approved, a Letter of Temporary Permission to Practice will be issued to the student.

Please note: The standard application process remains in place for individuals – including students – to obtain a general (not time-limited) Letter of Eligibility to Practice, on the basis of equivalence of their qualification profile with a major award in Early Childhood Care and Education at Level 5 on the National Framework of Qualifications. It is possible to submit both a fast-track application and a standard application at the same time.

It remains the case that any student who already has a full Level 5 award or a Letter of Eligibility to Practice from DCEDIY is already qualified to be employed to work directly with children in an ELC service, and does not need to complete any additional application for permission to practice.

For general information of Recognition of Qualifications, Temporary Student Recruitment in Early Learning and Care, and Application Process Requirements, please see

Thinking of setting up an Early Years Service?

You can arrange to meet with our Development Team who will guide you through a step by step process to get your business off the ground. Call us on: 056-7752865 or email: [email protected] to book an appointment.

You can also check out the Local Enterprise Office to explore possible supports available to help you in setting up your business.

Current Vacancies

Careers F.A.Q.

1) I am recruiting a new staff member – where can I share my vacancy?

You are welcome to email [email protected] with your job advertisement and we will be happy to list it on our website. Please remember to include: the position, duties, qualifications and experience needed for the role, preferred method of application and contact details, as well as the closing date for applications.

2) I need to get garda vetting for a staff member. How can I do this?

Garda vetting must be sought for all staff members through a relevant organisation. You can apply for this through organisations such as Barnardos or Early Childhood Ireland. Since 2016, the Garda vetting bureau has operated e-vetting. You can find out more about this here.

3) Can I take on a student for work experience/work placement?

Yes, students are exempt from the minimum level 5 qualification requirements, however they cannot be counted in adult:child ratios, or left alone with children. Transition year students under the age of 18 cannot be garda vetted, however you should have a record of two verified references in respect of them. For more information on this see the Tusla QRF.

4) I would love to meet other people working in childcare – where is the best place?

Kilkenny County Childcare Committee hosts regular network meetings for early years providers – please see our training and events calendar for the next upcoming date. Attending conferences, seminars and CPD trainings are also a fantastic way to make links with other local early years professionals.

5) Is my qualification suitable for working in an Early Years Service?

Under the Early Years Services Regulations all staff members must hold a recognised minimum qualification at QQI level 5 or above. The DCYA recognised qualifications list is the most comprehensive list currently available and all of the currently recognised qualifications are here.

Can’t find your qualification? The procedure for applying to have your qualification recognised is in the link here, which you can do by filling in the application form. If you are unsure about it please contact us on 056-7752865.

6) I would like to upskill and further my training and education in ECCE. Where can I find support?

KKCCC has engaged with SETU Carlow and Carlow-Kilkenny Skillsnet, and Carlow Kilkenny ETB to support the professionalisation of the early years workforce through QQI accredited training provision at levels 7/8 & 9. ETB Trainings are searchable through Join our early years professional mailing list to hear about the upcoming opportunities for training and education. For more general trainings and business supports, contact Kilkenny Local Enterprise Office.

7) What is the ERO and the rates of pay?

With effect from 15 September, 2022 two new Employment Regulation Orders (EROs) were commenced which provide for minimum hourly rates of pay and other conditions of employment for various roles in the Early Years Services Sector.

For full details on the ERO and rates you can visit the Workplace Relations Website